Thursday, February 12, 2015

Continuing the Adventure #1

Greetings Adventurers, and welcome to the inaugural Continuing the Adventure Newsletter.

My name is Steeven R. Orr, and I am the co writer and co creator of Our Adventure Continues. I'll be ramrodding this whole newsletter thing simply because my creative partner, Harold C. Jennett III, artist,co writer and co creator, needs as much free time as we can give him to draw the strip twice a week, which is truly a monumental task. I don't know how he does it.

But maybe I can get him to still stick his head in here once a month . . . maybe have a Harold's Corner where he can grumble or cheer or whatever he feels needs doing at the time.

Until then, you're stuck with me.

We struggled for a bit on what we really wanted to use this newsletter for, as the only news we would really have would be notifications that a new strip is up. And frankly, we didn't think you'd want to get an email every Tuesday and Thursday just to let you know: "Hey, a new strip is up."

Instead, we thought we might want to use the newsletter to provide you with a little something more, something beyond the twice a week strip, and send it out to you once a month.

There will be news, sure. If anything of note comes up between newsletters, we will use the next scheduled email to let you know. But the main focus is to just give you a little bonus for taking the time to sign up to our list.

So, with that in mind, how about I start at the beginning.

It All Began With a Variety SMACK!

On October 25th, 2011, Harold and I were chatting away on Gmail chat and out of the blue he asked me if I wanted to do a webcomic with him. We would both come up with story ideas, I'd write it, he'd draw it, it was so simple it was genius.

So, of course, I said yes.

We went back and forth on the name but finally landed on Variety Smack.


Two hours later I'd written a script, Harold drew up the strip, I started up a Blogger site, Harold put together a banner image, and we'd posted our very first web comic together.

The strip was black and white with gray tones, but we later went back and colorized the original 12 strips.

Now, I don't want to drag this out too long, I'm sure you're getting fatigued reading what's been written thus far, so I'm going to make this here history lesson a multi-part kind of thing.

Meaning, that Part One is coming to an end.

But I can't leave you without showing off that first strip, and since we did go back and colorize it later, you're going to get both versions.



It's really quite amazing to look at this strip, then look at what's current on the site, and see just how much Harold's art has progressed and changed.

It's pretty neat.

This is where I leave you until next month.

Until then, when you get the chance, check out our respective websites.

You can find Harold at:


You can find me at:



Next month, more Variety Smack.

In the meantime, keep visiting Our Adventure Continues every Tuesday and Thursday for new strips.

No comments: